While a Tri-Tip is grilling, prepare a salad of lettuce, cucumber, red pepper, onion, basil and mint. The flavor combination will whisk you away to the islands.
1. To prepare marinade, place green onions in food processor container. Cover; process 10 seconds or until chopped. Add remaining marinade ingredients. Cover; process 30 seconds or until smooth. Place beef roast and marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn roast to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes or as long as 2 hours.
2. Meanwhile prepare dressing. Place mayonnaise in small bowl; gradually whisk in remaining dressing ingredients until blended. Cover and refrigerate.
3. Combine salad ingredients in large bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
4. Remove roast from marinade; discard marinade. Place roast on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 25 to 35 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally. Remove roast when instant-read thermometer, inserted into center of thickest part registers 140°F for medium rare; 155°F for medium. Let stand 10 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 5°F to reach 145°F for medium rare; 160°F for medium.)
5. Add dressing to salad; toss lightly. Carve roast across the grain into thin slices. Serve with salad.
Recipe as seen in The Healthy Beef Cookbook, published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt